- 15 Medjool dates, pited Coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Boiling water
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tsp Orange peel Grated
- 1/2 Tsp ground ginger
- 1 Cup rolled oats
- 1/2 Cup Hemp hearts
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 Cup Almonds or pstachios Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Mixed dried fruits Raisins, cranberries, blueberries, cherries...
- Place dates in bowl of electric mixed. Pour boiling water over top. Add vanilla, orange peel, and ginger. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Preheat over to 350F. Line an 8" or 9" square pan with parchment paper.
- Using paddle attachment, beat date mixture until mashed an evenly mixed. Beat in oats, hemp hearts, pumpkin seeds, almonds and dried fruit.
- Press mixture into pan and smooth the top. Bake until firm and edges are golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool, then cut into squares. Refrigerate for up to 5 days or wrap individually and freeze for up to 3 months.
This recipe is a good no sugar square. It's nice to have frozen squares around for when people come unexpectedly or you just need something extra for lunch! Choose organic and local ingredients when you can. This recipe calls for dates and other items that don't grow here but oats, pumpkin seeds and some dried fruits are abundant in Alberta!
This recipe is from the magazine Alive. November 2014. Page 159.
Share this Recipe