This loaf travels well! Use it for camping trips. A friend brought this along for a canoe trip and it was wonderful!
- Use all organic ingredients.
- Add other nuts such as macadamia instead of walnuts!
- Add shredded coconut and/or chocolate chips.
- 1 Cup dates Chopped
- 1 Cup Boiling water
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1/2 Cup Turbinado Sugar or substitute cane sugar
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour Use whole wheat pastry flour. If you don't have pastry flour, mix half white and half whole wheat
- 1/2 Cup Oat flour You can buy oat flour or make it yourself by grinding oats in a blender.
- 2 Tbsp Flaxseed Ground (optional)
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Tsp Course Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon Ground
- 1 Cup Walnuts Chopped
- Lightly oil a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Combine the dates and boiling water in a small bowl. Let stand 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk together the egg, oil, sugar and vanilla.
- Heat oven to 350C.
- Combine the flours, flax, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in the dates with their liquid, along with the egg mixture and stir just to combine. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour into a lightly oiled 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool thoroughly before slicing.
Share this Recipe